In her art series, Pat Knepley focuses on artistic styles of famous artists. She then walks through a 4 lesson process that will guide your student in creating a project that resembles that style. For the Poppy Collage lesson, she focuses on art history (realism, abstraction, Georgia O'Keeffe) , art elements (color, space, shape) , and art principles (color gradation, warm colors, balance). This lesson teaches how to use colored art tissue paper to create an abstract flower in a beautiful display.
Her four lessons range from 17-22 minutes and provide a systematic process of learning and completing a goal. But before you think that the DVD is technical and boring, let me assure you that Pat Knepley teaches in such a way that maintains your interest and provides excitement! In fact, you can see video samples by visiting the See the Light webpage! Go ahead and explore the website! There are great goodies there to find.
RoutineWe completed the DVD in one day. Once my girls got going they didn't want to stop! The video portion took about an hour and a half. However, the art project did take quite a bit longer. My girls LOVE art so they like to take their time and get things just right. I know that they will use this video and technique in the future again as it was so enjoyable for them both.
Good to Know
- This DVD is recommended for ages 10 and up. However, my *almost* 9 year old loves art and had no problems.
- You can purchase the DVD for $14.99 online and they even have the option to pay through Paypal, which is a great option in my opinion.
- Though my girls completed the lessons in one day, you could easily spread them out and watch one lesson a day with the fifth day being a completion day. This would make the lesson last a full week.
- You will need to purchase supplies to complete the artwork but full supply lists are provided for each project before you purchase! This makes it easy to choose what will be feasible to do for your family.
- There are other many other Art projects available as well cartooning lessons and Bible Stories DVD's available. There are sure to be options perfect for your kiddos.
This is definitely a great curriculum to integrate into your homeschool that will teach Art history, elements and principles in a fun way! Each project is one that your child has the means to accomplish! I enjoyed Pat Knepley's teaching as well as the excitement my girls had as they entered Art time. It was more than crayons and paper, though these have their place. I will definitely be looking to this curriculum for our future Art needs.
Have a great day everyone and be sure to check out what others have to say about this Art program!